Eco Policy — The Green Tithe Barn
Sisland Tithe Barn actively takes measures to encourage green sustainable tourism. We aim to provide good quality accommodation which has a minimalistic effect on the surrounding environment.
- We promote recycling and encourage guests to recycle all their rubbish. In our self-catering lets recycling bins are provided.
- We try and source all the food we use from either our own garden or from local growers and suppliers. This allows our guests to experience the true flavour of the area.
- Where possible, we use energy-efficient lighting systems and appliances – such as flat-screen TVs & LED light bulbs. We conserve energy by switching off lights in unoccupied areas and closing windows if the heating is on.
- We have water-efficient washing machines and adopt water-wise policies.
- We encourage an environmentally-friendly towel and sheet re-use programme in The Hayloft.
- We have adopted a policy of minimal chemical use in both our housekeeping and grounds. We endeavour to use eco-friendly consumables across the site.
- We have installed solar panels to provide green energy within The Tithe Barn
- We encourage our guests to explore the rich natural and cultural heritage and beauty of the area through cycling and walking – we provide a secure, under-cover cycle storage area for our guests.
- We have installed a bio-ethanol fire in both our self-catering lets and NOVUS. Bio-ethanol is produced from sugar beet and provides a low carbon and sustainable energy source with the added advantage of giving off low emissions to the environment.
- Through our activities at The Tithe Barn, we support the local area – hosting events that benefit the village both financially and culturally.